Monday, August 11, 2014

Ne How Ma!

Ne how!

This whole week has been the biggest blessing. 

It was transfer week, and after many tearful "bye for now"'s, we set off for a new transfer.  And let me tell you, this transfer is off to a wonderful start.

For starters, my new companion is Sister Bement!  She's from Washington, is a Mandarin-speaking missionary (I say the beginning and end of my prayers in chinese now), adorable, hard-working, funny, and everything that I need. A kindred spirit, i'd say.  I feel like she's re-training me, and because of it, we're seeing so many miracles!

As I mentioned in my letter last week, Rachel was experiencing some opposition.  After praying and pleading with Heavenly Father to soften her heart to let us help to answer her concerns, we got a text from her that said that she wanted help getting clarity on a few doctrines.  By the time we got to her home for the lesson, she had had separate experiences throughout the week that give insight into all of her concerns, so we ended up not having to answer any of her questions, but God answered them first.  I had so much anxiety over it, worrying that she would drop us (it's like a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship!), and after stressing, I just realized that I needed more faith that Heavenly Father would take care of her.  And He did.  Always does.

Sister Bement and I have been using family history in our finding like CRAZY, and we have seen SO much success from it.  I remember when I was serving in Chester, Sister Brimley and I talked a lot about how whenever we even mentioned the name Jesus Christ, people immediately squeezed their eyes and ears shut.  We were constantly thinking "how on earth can we even get to these people, and help them feel that spirit at all, if they won't even listen to us?"

And then comes family history.  Everyone loves their family, and as Preach My Gospel says, people often have spiritual feelings when they talk about their families.  Going into a conversation with our My Family Booklet, with pictures of our family on them, helps us become so much more personable.  We simply go up to people and start talking about our own families and how much they mean to us, and share a few stories, and then in turn ask a bit about theirs.  Then if it feels right, we ask what they want most for their family.  Then we get to testify to them that the gospel of Jesus Christ has done more for our family than anything else, and then the spirit of Elijah comes in and softens their hearts.  We've seen it LOADS this week.

Just the other day Sister Bement and Hilda (a member) were out finding and we saw a woman doing some gardening.  We went up and I showed her a picture of my family, and talked a bit about where I'm from.  She's a mother of 7 children, and so we talked a lot about how great it is to have big families.  Before even talking about religion we talked about the desires she has for all of her children, and the burdens she carries from worrying.  She's not religious at all, but then I read Helaman 5:12 (seriously my go-to family scripture) and said how my mother would always gather all of us crazy children together to read this scripture.  The spirit completely took over and she asked us when we could come over.  We're seeing her tonight!  It's all about families.  Always has been.

Earlier this week Sister King and I were calling by a former investigator and some teenagers were outside being loud and obnoxious, but hey, we talk to everyone.  So we went and tried to have a light conversation, but there was one kid that was way too hyper and crude, so we asked if there was a better time we could come by, and they threw out a time.  We went by for our appointment, a bit doubtful (I'm always learning to not be so doubtful), and they were all there.  They welcomed us in, we taught the Restoration, and three days later, they were at church.  How's that? 

Because I'm constantly talking about my family, I want you all to know how much I love you.  I wish there was another word to use to express how I feel, but every single time I talk about all of you, I feel the spirit.  I'm even gettin' a little teary-eyed typing about right now.  You're crazy, and beautiful, and perfect for me.  Exactly what I need.  I know we're going to be together forever. <3 div="">

Love,

Sister Dushku

No comments:

Post a Comment