Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Chuffed to Bits

HELLO!

So I've gotta be quick, because we're going to the Lake District today. I went to the Lake District 4 years ago and it ended up being my favorite place, and so I'm SO excited to go back. 

We've had such a happy week.  We decided to take John to Chorley to walk around the temple grounds (the Preston temple is not in Preston...), and he had no words.  He felt so close to his Bren who passed away a couple of years ago.  He told us that both of them would sing together all the time, and when she passed away, he stopped singing, until just the other day in the shower he started singing the hymn "welcome to my world".  His baptism was beautiful, and we had a lot of support from the ward. The ward is getting stronger and stronger every week.

We had an interesting experience on Saturday.  We're always looking for service opportunities and a woman said that we could do a bit of service for her church that was setting up for a big social gathering for the congregation.  When we went by, the woman told us to speak with the Vicar to get an assignment.  When we asked him what we could do, he was very hesitant, and asked us what we were planning on doing there.  We explained that we weren't there proselyte, but to do service and build unity with other faiths. He was still pretty uneasy and made a comment about us not being Christian and being worried about the salvation of his congregation.  We again reassured him that FIRST Jesus Christ's name is on our badge, and that we're here as volunteers and sincerely just want to do service. He paused for a bit, and then he asked us if we could take off our badges to do service.  Sister King and I both a bit awkwardly paused and felt a bit taken aback, and then we said that we couldn't do that because we're special witnesses of Jesus Christ.  He told us that we couldn't wear the badges here, and that if we wanted to do service we would need to take them off.  It was a strange and uncomfortable feeling to have someone try to hide who I am. 

Let me just say.... I am SO grateful for that small experience that helped remind me how much this black badge means to me...  I get to wear Christ's name everyday. I get to represent Him, and be a special witness of His love.  People never have to question who we are.  People know that we're "devil dodgers", "the God-squad", and the "Jesus people", and I love that they do.  

The church is true, Jesus Christ is perfect, and loves and BELIEVES in us, and I'm really just trying to develop that kind of perfect love.

I can't believe this has been the last year of my life.  Boy, has it flown.

Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment