I don't even know where to begin because I feel like I was sitting in this library writing to you all just a few seconds ago. Time flies, but SO much has happened since last week I almost don't know where to start. It feels like I've been here for an eternity, but it's gone by so fast. Sister Steinagel was saying on the way over here that her first few weeks felt like that too because you change a lot.
This week has been a million times better than last week. I feel like I'm catching onto the flow of things, and I know more of the rules, so I'm getting corrected less which is really nice.
This week and next week we have the British Pageant going on in Chorley. This has been a huge deal among the members and missionaries. Sister Steinagel and I went to the pageant one day last week (can't remember because all the days are so blended), with an investigator and a recent convert. Our investigator is about 70 years old and 5 feet of pure adorable. He's from India and speaks Gugirati (spelling?). Anyway, he barely speaks any english and The Book of Mormon isn't even translated in the language he speaks. Tough situation, but he is a WONDERFUL man. He comes to church every week, and we teach lessons very simply. Anyway, we called him and told him about the pageant, but he didn't really understand us, so we said that we were coming over at half 5 to go to Chorley and to see some sort of production. He is the sweetest man, and is game for anything. We got there and our recent convert was already at his house, and I'm sure he was very confused, but still smiling. We then drove to Chorley, and Jarom (our investigator) was driving. We got off the motorway too soon, and got a bit lost, and it was the funniest and most stressful situation because we can barely communicate with him. He kept pulling over to the side of the road and probably felt so confused with what on earth was going on. BUT, when we finally made it to the pageant he enjoyed it so much. Every time the choir was singing he would close his eyes and put his hand on his chest. On the way home from the pageant he said "I no talk, I no talk, I have to focus." It was late and dark, and while we were on our way home Sister Steinagel started singing hymns, and then I joined her, and it was beautiful. Jarom can't understand all of our words, but when we sing to him, he feels the spirit, and he tells us that. We taught him later that week and he talked about how he prays to Jesus when he feels so sad he can't even eat. His wife died in January, and he explained in his broken english that praying to Jesus helps him to be able to feel better so he can eat.
There have been so many miracles this week, and I want to just rattle off a few of the things that built my faith in humanity and my faith in Jesus Christ:
1. We had 7 investigators at church
this Sunday.
2. The adorable family we've been teaching came, and they're progressing like crazy.
3. On our way home from a lesson these cute little girls come running out of their house to give us hugs and kisses. Then their family put Buriani in a container for us to take home.
4. Sister Hammond who brings a big bag of food for the missionaries every
Sundaybecause her husband isn't a member and doesn't want the missionaries over for tea.
5. Muslims. Honestly, ALL of them are so unbelievably kind. But talking religion with them is extremely difficult. Tough cookies to crack.
6. Getting THREE scheduled appointments after proselyting last night. Fasting works.
7. One of our investigators that brought us a packed lunch with a delicious vegan sandwich (seriously was the best sandwich i've ever had), an apple, banana, and water bottle.
8. Visiting a woman who is less active and the tears that streamed down her face when we came because she's so lonely.
9. Another less active couple we visited yesterday. When we went into their home they left the TV on and were smoking, but as soon as I asked them if I could share a scripture they turned the TV off and listened. I shared (and always share) Helaman
5:12 because it reminds me of our family. Apparently the visits that the missionaries have with them are usually contentious, but they agreed with everything we said, and then we sang them a song. It was incredible how the spirit was almost tangible in the room. I've learned this week how powerful singing is. Especially when your companion can harmonize.
10. All of my early morning studies. I've felt very directed in all my early morning studies and if I have a good study it impacts my entire day. I've been reading a lot about the Savior, and especially charity. "Charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh no her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things" (Moroni 7: 45).
As I have prayed for charity everyday, I have found that I am able to love people more fully, and have a better handle on life. I know that when the scriptures say that if we don't have charity, we have nothing, that it's true.
I also know that fasting works. I never really fasted sincerely, let's be honest. I had my system where I slept in, went to church, slept, and then woke up for dinner. But as I've done the things that Mom and Dad have taught me with sincerity I've felt it change me, and it's a great feeling.
Also, missions are SO fun. I have had more adventures in the last 7 days than I've had in months. So the rumors are true, missions are definitely fun. There are a ton of funny things that happen *like when boys hit on us, and Sister Steinagel handles it in such a funny way*.
I'm super excited for this next week. We're going to the pageant two nights with investigators, we're teaching 3 new people, AND Elder Holland is coming to speak to our mission.
I love you all. I think about you constantly, and pray for you literally over 10 times a day. Special shout out to Sharon and Ralph, Auckland New Zealand will be incredible! I can't wait to go pick them up.......
God Save The Queen,
xoxo
Sister Dushku
No comments:
Post a Comment