"Oldham is about the explode," was the last thing my trainer's trainer said to me when she was transferred to another area. And let me tell you, it truly is about to explode. The Lord has sent me to a very special place, and it's extremely exciting and terrifying to think of all the work that has been done, and needs to be continued. Sister Steinagel and her last companion have worked hard in Oldham, and this place is ready.
First, I want you all to know about the members here. They are incredible in helping build up the kingdom, and missionary work is a big deal to them. They love the missionaries. I've had tea at a members house almost every day I've been here, and they feed us well, no worries! I am eating lot's of flavorful Indian, Chinese, and Mexican food. Definitely a pleasant surprise. When I went to church yesterday I can't even tell you how many woman came up to me to hug and kiss me. I definitely don't feel like I've only been here 5 days. I feel like I've known some of these people my entire life. Shout out to the gospel for bringing people together in a beautiful way. The members here just get it. It's hard to explain.
Dad, you said once over the pulpit that our churches ought to smell like smoke. Dad, I smelled smoke at church yesterday, saw plenty of tattoos, and women wearing pants to church (that's not a feminist reference, keep reading). There were several investigators there that are coming closer to Jesus Christ, and there are so many first generation members. I love it. Oldham ward is accepting of everyone.
We have many people that we teach and meet with everyday. They are progressing nicely, but we are trying our hardest to hasten the process in a way that fits the need of the individual, of course. My biggest concern is with a family we're teaching. The parents are both less actives, and we have two of their children dated for baptism. Sidenote: children are so much more loveable and adorable when they have cute accents. Anyway, the family has 4 kids, and they're not going to church and they're not reading their scriptures OR praying. So obviously there is a lot of work to do before his baptism, but the work we need to do is with the parents. They aren't very helpful with family prayer, and we're trying so hard to find out a way to get their ENTIRE family to church. Bringing an entire family to the gospel would be incredible. We will be meeting with them many times this week, and we're also going to the British Pageant with them and the temple grounds. Hopefully this is a success and what they need. Add this family in your prayers pretty please.
We also have a few other investigators that I don't know incredibly well, but they sound like they're very close to knowing that the church is true. I'll have more to say next week about them.
Oh, and we're teaching a man that's sooo close to baptism. We had a lesson with him last night and I actually thought that he was a member because he was participating so much in Gospel Doctrine class. He knows the church is true and he says he will be baptized. How great is that?!
We visited with a lot of less actives, but one in particular was a miracle. She was baptised a few years ago, and loves the gospel, and reads her scriptures everyday. She is also a hardcore LOTR fan, and so we bonded quite quickly. She has extreme social anxiety and is TERRIFIED of men and coming to church. She also has a terribly low self esteem, and doesn't know for herself the Heavenly Father loves her. Sister Steinagel and I read a passage in the Book of Mormon, and the spirit was so strong, and I asked her if she would come to church. She said she would, and then she was there the next day! This is huge. When she came through the door with her cute maxi dress, and hardcore brass rings on each finger (they are really fun), I gave her the biggest hug, and I held her hands and felt that they were shaking. She sat in between Sister Steinagel and I and I said a little prayer with her before the meeting started. This was the first time she has ever come to church on her own without her roommate, and I'm so proud of her. We have become great friends.
I have talked to so many people, and this email is too long, but I want you to know that I feel so good. Yesterday I turned to Sister Steinagel and said, "I've probably looked in the mirror a total of 10 times this week". I am so unaware of my physical appearance, and so much more aware of my spirit. It's a good life, and I'm lucky to be livin' the gospel dream.
Oh! Before I close, I would love it if everyone who reads this could send me their favorite scripture or passage in the scriptures, and tell me why. That would mean a lot to me.
I love you all. Keep plugging away, and look at yourself less in the mirror. ;)
xox
Sister Dushku
P.S. There are a lot of women here with beards........... like FULL beards. Maybe there's something in the water. I'll keep you all filled in on how mine is coming in.


No comments:
Post a Comment