HIYA all my best friends,
This week has been filled with all sorts of adventures.
Yesterday when Sister Tholen and I were headed to a members home for tea we spoke to a man on the bus from Spain. He was really intelligent, and hilarious, and crazy, but a lot of people are these days, so we weren't too worried, (but I promise we were cautious, mom). As I was navigating, he kept quizzing Sister Tholen on state capitols, and different British bands (he was singing a song by the Smiths very beautifully actually), but then some young boys started teasing him and he got SUPER defensive, and so I grabbed Sister Tholen and we moved to the front of the bus, and he chucked the Book of Mormon we gave him, and it hit Sister Tholen. He was yelling at everyone on the bus, and so we jumped off the that bus as fast as we could. That's the first time I've had the Book of Mormon thrown at me, so that's pretty good, I'd say. Moral of the story, stay away from drugs and alcohol everyone.
But on a happier note, not as many people were ill this week, and so we were able to teach a lot. One thing Sister Tholen and I have really been focussing on is strengthening the new converts of. Most of them are coming to church pretty consistently, but it's learning how to serve in the church and really feel apart of the ward that needs work. We're trying to help them feel comfortable with accepting callings, and giving talks in church. Most of them speak English as a second language, and so sometimes they feel inferior, but we need the wisdom and the strength that they'll bring! We were teaching Sarah about the importance of service, and at the end of the lesson she told us that she had prepared a meal for us! It was a delicious African meal, and we had just had our tea, so we stuffed our faces. Many times I feel like people are serving me so much more than I'm serving them.
Frank referred one of his flatmates to us, and we were able to teach him on Saturday in the church with Ken and Jenny. His name is M and he's from Iran. He's one of the most sincere people I've ever met, and when we asked him to share his feelings about the Saviour he was so emotional. Jesus Christ means a lot to him, and he was so willing to learn more. He came to church yesterday, and we're excited to see how he progresses.
We had a little ward activity that Ken and Jenny organized where we all gathered around the piano and sang Christmas Hymns and drank hot chocolate, and stuff our faces with donuts (Sister Tholen ate a donut whole and it made bishop proud... building member trust!). It all was wonderful, and it made me so grateful for this time of year. People just seem so much more receptive at this time of year.
Our church is brilliant. I truly adore our church and the way that it helps us to serve each other. I love that we have ward families and that we make friends that truly care about us, and are always there. I'm grateful to be a missionary.
Happy thanksgiving, I'm grateful for all of you!
Love,
Sister Dushku
No comments:
Post a Comment