Mormons are getting a lot of attention recently. The church agreed to let a woman film a missionary for a few months and President Preston wanted us to watch it. They did an extremely biased, though absolutely hilarious documentary about Mormon missionaries in the UK. Filled with back to back shots of us "saluting" President Monson, with children's music in the background, and showing the world our underwear. It's a crack up, and as hard as they tried to make us look like freaks, the goodness of the Elders just couldn't be hidden. It was great. But our catch phrase for the last couple of days has been "MEET THE MORMONS--THAT'S US". I kind of love how much attention we get.
But this week has been wonderful. and bittersweet. We had to say goodbye to President and Sister Preston, which was really hard. I've felt really lucky to have a mission President that serves in his home mission. He knows everyone in the mission, and we all adore him. He's taught me a lot of things, but I think the number one thing I've learned from President Preston is to always have a perfect brightness of hope. He was perfect for all of us, and I'm eternally grateful for him and his sweet wife.
I was able to go on exchange to the farthest place in the mission! Carlisle, which borders Scotland. Oh my goodness, I had so much fun with Sister Brown. Sister Brown and Sister Snarr are serving there, and they're blowing that place up. We're both serving in areas where some people think it's hard to get baptisms, but our faith is exploding, and all of us just have such a strong desire to see our areas flourish. I loved their accents and their straightforward rejections.
But Sister King and I are seeing such great things in South Ribble. The members have been helping us a lot, and we've been able to see how much that strengthens them. I've realized that the best way for all of us to strengthen each other is just to simply go out and do what Jesus Christ would be doing if he were here. I hope I can be a continual reminder to everyone that missionaries need a lot of help from members, and I know that members need a lot of help too.
We've got this adorable investigator J who's in his 80's and is going to be baptized in a couple of weeks. He was thrown out of the Catholic church for getting divorced, and the Church of England wouldn't have him, but amidst all of that, he's always had a close relationship with God. He's the most adorable old man I've ever met. When we told him that he could be sealed with His wife, he was overflowing. It was the cutest thing. He said he can't wait to get down on one knee and propose to his wife again, and marry her in the temple. After every lesson we have with him, we just end by saying "thank you". Because really he just teaches us things. The way he talks to God, the way he ADORES his wife, just makes me want to be a better person.
I'm out of time, but I just gotta say that I love life. Sister King and I sang "Joy to the World" this morning, because it's warm and it reminds her of Christmas in Austrailia, and because it's Christmas all year round for us. We're happy. Even though Elder Shaw just rang and said that we got a speeding ticket, (booooo speeding cameras) there's just nothing that can keep us down.
More miracles to share, but no time.
I love you all!
Sister Dushku
No comments:
Post a Comment